Citroen has been a leading player in the utility vehicle market for many years. It is hard to forget the intriguing body shapes that have marked LCV history, such as the 2CV van, Type H, C15 or Berlingo.
This lineage carries on today via a modern range of vans with their own strong characteristics – Berlingo Van, Dispatch and Relay – that stand out thanks to their practicality and benchmark comfort. Models inspired by professionals, featuring a variety of configurations to meet the needs of each business customer.
The brand knows business customers have different expectations to private customers, which is why Citroen has more than 350 dedicated Business Centres across Europe (G10). The “Inspired by Pro” philosophy has recently been enhanced, with the launch of a new retail concept aimed exclusively at business customers under the La Manufacture Citroen banner (currently operational in France, The Netherlands, Belgium and Spain). This initiative demonstrates the Citroen brand’s strong desire to offer business customers tailored services, personalised contact and comfortable surroundings, ensuring they enjoy a unique and professional experience.
In 2020, the brand is launching a major electrification offensive across its commercial vehicle range. Citroen is widening the choice of electric vehicles available to business users, with a range that will be 100% electrified by 2021. It will be comprised of e-Dispatch, unveiled today, plus a 100% electric version of Relay in the second half of 2020, and a 100% electric version of Berlingo Van during 2021. This range will benefit business users by offering a benchmark level of comfort, controlled operating costs, freedom to access town centres and the ability to keep up with the growth of e-commerce.
Citroen Dispatch – launched in 2016 and with almost 145,000 examples sold – recently updated its range in order to more closely match the needs of business customers. Combining sturdiness with a large load capacity, Citroen Dispatch now offers an extensive range across four trim levels, including two recent additions (Worker and Driver) that are aimed at two separate types of usage:
– Worker – for construction sites (with raised suspension, underbody protection, increased payload and Grip Control).
– Driver – for long delivery rounds (with driver assistance systems dedicated to comfort and safety).
This new range makes Citroen Dispatch the essential partner for business users with varied needs.
E-DISPATCH, THE 100% ELECTRIC VAN
Citroen expects to position e-Dispatch at the top of the BEV (Battery Electric Vehicle) market, with an offering that is highly adapted to the needs of fleet and business LCV customers. Totally integrated into the Dispatch range, e-Dispatch is only visually different on the outside due to the charging port positioned on the left-hand front wing. Plus a blank section in the grille at the front, and a new “ë” badge fitted to the right of the grille and again on the left-hand rear door.
RANGE & BATTERIES
Built on the Groupe PSA EMP2 multi-energy platform, this electric version of Dispatch is offered with two battery powertrains – giving two levels of vehicle range – allowing every operator to select the one that best suits their needs and budget:
– 143 miles on the WLTP cycle (available with XS and M body styles) fitted with a 50 kWh battery, made up of 18 separate modules.
– 205 miles on the WLTP cycle (available with M and XL body styles) fitted with a 75 kWh battery, made up of 27 individual modules.
Whichever range option the customer chooses, Citroen e-Dispatch is fitted with a lithium-ion battery pack – currently the best-developed technology on the market. Most importantly, the EMP2 platform allows the batteries to be mounted in the chassis, so maintaining the van’s load volume. The batteries store and supply the energy for the electric motor, and the air-conditioning and heating systems. The charge level is displayed on the instrument cluster in front of the driver, alongside a reserve warning light.
A 12V accessory battery supplies the traditional vehicle electrical system. It is automatically re-charged from the drive battery pack.
CHOICE OF BODY SIZES
New e-Dispatch offers all the advantages of the architecture from the existing internal combustion engine (ICE) versions. This means compact exterior dimensions, while offering modularity, ergonomics, interior space, storage space and optimised loading capacity, making it an ideal work tool. e-Dispatch is available in three lengths, including the XS model at 4.60m – designed for easier access to urban centres and for unfettered parking. This length, coupled with a volume of up to 5.1m3, makes for an extremely compact van.
e-Dispatch is just 1.90m tall, which means it can go where many competitors cannot, such as underground car parks and shopping centres etc.
With payloads of up to 1,275 Kg e-Dispatch sits at the heart of its segment.
|Normal Payload||Increased Payload||Normal Payload||Increased Payload||Normal Payload||Increased Payload|
|Pack 50 kWh||1 000 kg||1 275 kg||1 000 kg||1 275 kg||1 000 kg||1 275 kg|
|Pack 75 kWh||1 000 kg||1 000 kg|
Notes: Availability of increased payload varies depending on the country, 50 kW/h battery pack not available on XL in the UK. Without driver, value varies according to vehicle options and equipment.
Load volumes are identical to the ICE versions, of between 4.6 m3 (XS without Moduwork®) and 6.6 m3 (XL with Moduwork®) are at market-leading levels.
Width between wheel-arches is 1.25m, sufficient to load European pallets.
The electric motor drives the vehicle according to the drive-mode selected, and the driving conditions. It harvests energy under braking or during deceleration.
– Power is 100 kW (136hp) / 260 Nm torque.
– Maximum speed is 80 mph (130 km/h) in all drive modes (Eco, Normal, Power).
– Three-mode selector:
– Normal – when used this optimises range and performance.
– Eco – when selected this setting optimises energy consumption by reducing the output of the heating and air-conditioning without shutting them off completely, and by limiting motor torque and power.
– Power – this mode delivers vehicle performance at maximum payload (MGVW) equivalent to Normal mode when unladen.
The warranty period for the powertrain and battery is 8 years or 100,000 miles.
The charging port is on the left-hand front wing on e-Dispatch and charging operates when in Park mode. There are three charging modes available:
– Home charging, requiring a mode 2 cable (for charging at home, at a place of work or in a car park).
– Compatible with a standard domestic socket (cable available as an accessory).
– Private or public accelerated charging, needing a ‘Wallbox’ at home and a mode 3 cable.
– 32A cable (supplied as standard with the vehicle).
– Charges from 0 to 100% in less than 8hours (7.4 kW Wallbox).
– Super-fast charging at a mode 4 public charging point (cable incorporated into charger).
– Up to 100 kW.
– Can charge a 50 kWh battery to 80% in 30 minutes and a 75 kWh battery to 80% in 45 minutes.
|–||Wallbox 32A monophase||Wallbox 16A triphase||Supercharge|
|Electric power||7.4 kW||11 kW||100 kW|
|Battery 50 kWh||7h30||4h45||30min|
|Battery 75 kWh||11h20||7h||45min|
Note: Wallbox 16A triphase requires an 11kW on-board charger to be specified.
Using the MyCitroen app, the user can manage the battery charging function. They are able to:
– See the battery charging status and the operating range.
– Control the remote cabin pre-conditioning.
– Programme delayed charging (this can also be done from the vehicle’s touchscreen via the connected navigation in the “Energy” menu). This operation is available for home (mode 2) or accelerated (mode 3) charging. Delayed charging can be altered at any time. Once programmed, just plug the vehicle in and press the button located inside the vehicle charging port.
To make charging easier for UK customers, Citroen has entered in to a partnership with Pod Point. Pod Point supply and install accelerated charging points (Wallboxes) that allow an e-Dispatch to charge fully in 8 hours (based on a 7.4 kW charging point). Once the customer has been referred, Pod Point will contact them and manage the process fully from booking to installation. Pod Point is the market leader in terms of volume of charging points fitted and customer satisfaction. Citroen UK customers benefit from an extended 5 year warranty on the charging points. Business and fleet customers can also arrange workplace installation with a free (virtual or physical) site survey. Pod Point are fully approved for the Government workplace charging grant.
Everything has been designed to make the e-Dispatch easy to operate:
– A choice of on-board chargers available, either 7.4 kW (standard) or 11 kW (optional).An – ë-Toggle gearbox controller on the central console for Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive and Brake.
– A selector for the three drive modes: Eco, Normal and Power.
– A specific instrument unit with a battery charge indicator, along with a gauge showing the electrical consumption of the on-board electric climate control equipment (heating, air-conditioning). The built-in screen shows notably the energy flow and the vehicle state of charge.
– e-Dispatch’s 7-inch touchscreen incorporates a completely new section in its menu. Under “Energy”, the user can access the vehicle’s specific electric powertrain features: energy flow, consumption statistics, delayed charging.
– Energy flow shows the operation of the electric drivetrain in real time with the driving mode selected, including the battery charge level.
– Consumption statistics, including a summary for the current journey.
– Delayed charging.
– Thermal pre-conditioning.