The 40-foot, self-contained Energy Storage Station (ESS) is located in south Charlotte and has several BYD-vertically integrated components including a 200KW Bi-directional, UL-compliant BYD inverter with BYD’s 500KWh Iron Phosphate battery — the first rechargeable chemistry that is completely environmentally-friendly.
The battery contains no heavy metals or toxic electrolytes and is capable of meeting strict requirements for reliability, cycle and service life – the expected service life of the Iron-Phosphate batteries is over 25 years.
BYD mega-watt-scale energy storage stations are installed in several locations in the US and are rated at a 91% AC-DC-AC round-trip-efficiency but have shown actual performance at this site as high as 95.3% — a new benchmark for the ESS industry.
BYD has supplied more than 100 MWh in energy storage stations across China and the world.
Highlights of the BYD energy storage system:
– Environmentally-friendly rechargeable battery chemistry containing no heavy metals, no toxic electrolytes and manufactured with no caustic or harmful materials.
– Superior service life: Can be cycled more than 6,000 times (100% DOD).
– Fire safe Chemistry is non-explosive and fire-safe even in direct flames.
– Wider temperature range: Operates from 0C to 60C superior to Lithium-Ion.
– Superior roundtrip efficiencies: AC-DC-AC efficiency shown to be as high as 94%, an industry benchmark high; DC to DC efficiency as high as 96%.