Combining sporty driving performance and SUV versatility, the 2021 Audi Q5 model line continues to set a new standard in the luxury SUV segment. The updated Q5 models, including the plug-in hybrid Q5 as well as the SQ5, combine sharper design with excellent every day usability and offer a larger array of infotainment and driver assistance features to cement their position as the brand’s bestselling SUV lineup.
The 2021 Q5 model line has been updated to feature the brand’s new SUV design language. The octagonal Singleframe grille is now thinner and wider than its predecessor and the side air intakes are taller with sporty trapezoidal inserts. From the profile, the Q5 has a lighter look thanks to the redesigned side sill. At the rear of the vehicle is a new trim element connecting the taillights and a new horizontal diffuser insert.
The Q5 PHEV model comes standard with the S line exterior which includes a sportier honeycomb structure in the Singleframe grille and a more aggressive front and rear diffuser design.
Two of the available paint colors are new – District Green and Ultra Blue, and both are offered the Q5 PHEV and SQ5 variants.
Additional exterior highlights include:
– Q5 models receive standard 18” 5-arm-star design wheels, or available 19” 5-double-arm design wheels in bi-color finish, or 20” 5-arm-design wheels.
– PHEV models receive standard 19” 5-double-spoke-star design or available 20” 5-double-spoke star design wheels in bi-color finish.
– The Q5 PHEV also offers an available Sport plus package which includes adaptive air suspension, 20” 10-spoke-star design wheels in platinum finish with summer tires, front sport seats, S line leather/Dinamica seats, black headliner, and brushed aluminum inlays.
New for 2021, all Q5 models come standard equipped with LED headlights which include a unique daytime running light signature (DRL), and LED taillights with dynamic turn signals. At the top of the range are the matrix-design LED headlights (standard on Prestige trims) with dynamic front turn indicators and feature leaving and coming home animations. Fast-moving lights play in the headlights and taillights when the vehicle is locked or unlocked, emphasizing the vehicle’s dynamics and lighting technology while standing still.
Interior design and infotainment
The interior of the new Q5 models includes greater attention to detail through functional refinements and additional driver focused technologies. Horizontal lines dominate the interior leading to the large 10.1 inch MMI® touchscreen (1,540 x 720 pixels) which serves as the focal point of the dashboard. This MMI® is backed by the all-new MIB 3 infotainment system which delivers drivers a better overall user experience through faster processing speeds and higher graphical resolution.
Additional interior refinements include new walnut wood inlays and leather seating surfaces, now with contrast stitching, as well as standard high-gloss black interior trim elements. On SQ5 models, electronic steering column adjustment is now standard.
Additional infotainment features include:
– Available second-generation Audi virtual cockpit plus featuring a 12.3-inch display that offers HD resolution of 1920 x 720 pixels. The driver can choose between three viewing modes – classic, sport and dynamic.
– Standard Audi smartphone interface provides access to wireless Apple CarPlay and Google Android Auto for compatible devices.
– The Integrated Toll Module (ITM) is now standard on all Q5 models. The ITM is a toll transponder built into the vehicle’s rearview mirror, allowing drivers to access compatible toll road services in the U.S. and in parts of Canada.
– Available Bang & Olufsen sound system with 3D sound delivers nearly true-to-life surround sound through 19 speakers, including a subwoofer and center speaker, and a 16-channel amplifier producing an output of 705 watts.
The 2021 Q5 PHEV model is equipped with a 2.0-liter four-cylinder TFSI engine coupled with an electric motor that sits between the engine and transmission, producing a total combined system output of 362 horsepower and 369 lb-ft of torque, and sprints from 0-60 in 5.0 seconds. The Q5 PHEV’s four-cylinder engine is mated to a seven-speed S tronic dual-clutch transmission and quattro all-wheel drive.
Advanced driver assistance features
The Q5 model line brings a full suite of newly standard and available driver assistance features, designed to help drivers confidently navigate the road and traffic.
Driver assistance features include:
- Standard Audi side assist provides blind spot monitoring via LED indicators on the exterior mirror housings at speeds above 9 mph.
- Standard Lane departure warning helps keep the driver within the driving lane, if the lane is about to be departed, through corrective steering intervention and adjustable wheel vibration at speeds above 40 mph.
- Standard Audi pre sense rear (as part of Audi side assist) uses radar sensors in the rear bumper to help detect an impending rear-end collision, and can initiate preventative measures.
- Standard Parking system plus helps make parking easier with front and rear proximity acoustic parking sensors, when the vehicle is in both reverse and drive, at speeds under 6 mph.
- Standard Rear cross traffic assist (as part of Audi side assist and parking system plus) supports the driver when reversing out of a perpendicular parking space. Indicator arrows in the MMI® display can help inform the driver of approaching vehicles, and in critical situations, a warning tone and brake jolt can be applied, prompting the driver to fully stop the vehicle.
- Available Adaptive cruise control with Traffic Jam assist (now standard on Premium Plus trim levels) assists the driver with acceleration and braking, maintaining speed and following distance between speeds of 0-95 mph and during traffic jam situations between speeds of 0-40 mph.
- Available Top view camera system (now standard on Premium Plus trim levels) uses four wide-angle 360-degree cameras to display the entire area surrounding, projected on the MMI® screen, allowing the driver to “see” around the vehicle to help with maneuvering in tight spaces.
Model year 2021 Audi Q5 PHEV starting manufacturer suggested retail prices:
|Q5 55 TFSI e quattro||$51,900||$55,800||$61,700|
Prices above exclude destination charge, taxes, titles, options and dealer chargers. Dealer sets actual price.