At this year’s Paris Motor Show, DS Automobiles writes a new chapter in its history with four world premieres and shows that its future begins now with electrification at the core of the DS product strategy.
The first electrified DS models will be on the road in 2019 with the DS 7 CROSSBACK E-TENSE 4×4, equipped with a high-performance, plug-in hybrid powertrain and with the 100% electric DS 3 CROSSBACK E-TENSE.
DS will also show the DS E-TENSE FE 19 – 100% electric single-seater race car from the FIA Formula E championship, displayed in its new 2018/2019 livery and the DS X E-TENSE – brand’s fully electric dream car – the vision of luxury for 2035.
As of 2025, all new DS models will be exclusively available in electrified versions.
DS 3 CROSSBACK E-TENSE: 100% ELECTRIC
With DS 3 CROSSBACK E-TENSE presented as a world premiere at the 2018 Paris International Motor Show, the 100% electric version will be on sale and available from the second half of 2019, equipped with an advanced level of performance from its electric motor to offer a dynamic experience without compromise:
- Potential range of 200 miles / 320km (WLTP drive cycle standard) and 265 miles / 430km (NEDC cycle),
- up to 20% regenerated energy when decelerating,
- torque of 260Nm,
- 0 to 30mph (0 to 50kmph) in3 seconds and 0 to 62mph (0 to 100kmph) in 8.7 seconds.
This advanced level of performance does not detract from the interior space of ICE versions and is complemented by enhanced driving pleasure that combines flexibility, dynamism and silence.
The electric drive train of DS 3 CROSSBACK E-TENSE comprises:
- an electric motor of 100kW/136hp,
- a 50kWh lithium-ion battery,
- a regenerative braking and deceleration system,
- a charging system which allows all the charging solutions available on the market (home, Wallbox and a 100kW ultra-fast charging),
- a new generation heat pump for climate control in the cabin and optimal thermal regulation of the battery.
It takes five hours to fully charge the DS 3 CROSSBACK E-TENSE with a 3-phase 11kW Wallbox and 30 minutes to charge 80% of the battery on a public 100kW fast-charging solution (5.5 miles (9km) per min).
DS 7 CROSSBACK E-TENSE 4×4
Presented as another DS world premiere at the 2018 Paris Motor Show, DS 7 CROSSBACK E-TENSE 4×4 has everything that makes the DS 7 CROSSBACK so appealing and, in addition, a rechargeable petrol-electric hybrid drivetrain with a versatile and remarkable performance capability:
- Potential for 300hp deployment and a considerable minimum torque of 450Nm,
- Standstill to 1,000 metres in 27 seconds,
- Drive to all four wheels when appropriate or desired,
- 50km / 37 mile range in zero emission vehicle mode (WLTP standard),
- ingenious architecture that offers retained generous interior space and boot volume.
This drivetrain comprises:
- a 200hp PureTech petrol engine,
- two 80kW electric motors (integrated with the ICE engine at the front and driving the rear axle at the rear),
- an electrically-controlled 8-speed automatic gearbox driving the front wheels,
- a compact 13.2kW/h lithium-ion battery placed under the seats in row 2,
- an electric motor driven rear axle, which enhances economy and performance with 4×4 capabilities.
E-TENSE 4×4 technology can be charged with a domestic socket overnight (to full charge within eight hours with a 3.3kW charger) or, in the case of fast charging, within two hours with a 32A socket (wall socket and 6.6kW charger). The battery is also recharged when the vehicle decelerates, through regeneration reducing brake use.
DS X E-TENSE: DS DREAM CAR FOR 2035
DS X E-TENSE is the DS Automobiles’ vision of automotive luxury in the year 2035, a future that combines technology and poetry. DS teams have designed this Dream Car by drawing their inspiration from the world of luxury of tomorrow, by imagining the technologies to develop, but also by emphasising the beautiful and the human, the sensory and the exceptional. They dreamed of how customers would like to live and have fun aboard the DS by 2035.
DS X E-TENSE is fitted with an electric drivetrain developed by DS Performance – the motor sport division. This Dream Car also draws on exceptional know how comparable to that of French art houses, like the woven leather that is made by DS master upholsterers and sits in harmony with the inlaid feather work produced in the workshops of Maison Lemarié. The clockmaker, B.R.M, made the virtual watch while FOCAL built the soundbar.
DS X E-TENSE is a dual experience car, which is expressed by its asymmetry, on the one hand the cockpit and on the other the cocoon. It combines the driving pleasure, which is intense with an abundance of power, and the blend of the art of living ‘à la française’ with autonomous driving.
DS E-TENSE FE 19, THE FORMULA E DESIGNED BY DS PERFORMANCE
DS Automobiles is the only French FIA-approved manufacturer of the new generation of 100% electric single-seater racing cars for Formula E. Designed by DS Performance, DS E-TENSE FE 19 is presented as a world premiere at the 2018 Paris Motor Show displayed in its new 2018/2019 livery.
DS E-TENSE FE 19 is powered by DS Performance’s 250kW (338hp) 100% electric powertrain and presents a new design with significantly revised aerodynamic features.
The technology developed has already proven its worth with five race wins and eleven podium finishes on four continents in less than three years.
Due to the knowledge and experience acquired during these races, DS Automobiles has accelerated the development of an electrified range of all of its second-generation car range from 2019.
DS E-TENSE FE 19 will kick off the new season on 15 December in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, for the Formula E season’s first E-Prix race.