Ford is introducing a new special edition vehicle – F-150 Lightning Platinum Black – designed for customers who want a truck with distinctive looks, power and premium matte black features.
The F-150 Lightning Platinum Black is a monochromatic electric truck, combining the tech and power capability of the high-end Platinum trim level wrapped in a unique matte black wrap – the company’s first-ever matte-wrapped production truck.
“Ford is no stranger to limited-edition vehicles – and the F-150 Lightning Platinum Black is taking our award-winning electric truck to new levels of stealth and style. This is the perfect choice for those customers looking to make a statement,” said Dave Pericak, director, Ford EV truck programs.
With a production run capped at 2,000 vehicles with individually numbered badges, it’s going to be very exclusive.
The F-150 Lightning Platinum Black starts at $97,995 and deliveries will start early in 2024.
Matte finishes are trending in homes, cosmetics and now vehicles, while black is always in style. This powerful blend of trendy and classic takes the F-150 Lightning Platinum to the next level and makes the truck stand out next to conventional paint options.
Unique matte black and Agate Black gloss features include:
– 22-inch matte black wheels and lug nuts
– Black Ford Oval badging
– Power-Deployable Running Boards with Agate Black gloss accent
– Soft-shell black tonneau cover
– A distinctive smoked signature light bar
– Reflective black-on-black Lightning badge that appears to glow when lights flash over it at night
– An Agate Black gloss roof that blends in with the glass to create a smooth surface, making the non-reflective matte black exterior stand out even more, and Agate Black door handles to help protect this high-touch area from smudging.
Additional touches include:
– “Lightning” graphics on roof glass above passenger seating
– Luxe black premium Nirvana leather seating surfaces
– Aluminum plate in both frunk and in driver door jamb with limited edition numbering
The Platinum Black also features enhanced technology.
– Available Ford BlueCruise hands-free highway driving – specifically version 1.2 – features Lane Change Assist, which allows the driver to change lanes hands-free by tapping the turn signal once the path is clear, and In-Lane Repositioning to help to keep the vehicle in its lane while subtly shifting position away from vehicles in adjacent lanes. Updated BlueCruise graphics in the digital cluster visually show the driver when an assisted hands-free lane change is occurring and when the vehicle is adjusting in-lane such as shifting away from large semi-trucks.
– Also available is an optimized towing setup experience, in which the truck is smart enough to recognize a connected trailer and automatically switches to tow haul drive mode. Once the trailer is disconnected, the truck will revert to the previous drive mode.
– Walk Away Locking allows the customer to lock the vehicle with a passive key or authorized phone via Phone As A Key.
Future capabilities can be unlocked through software updates to help enhance the ownership experience.
Pro Power Onboard now works while the truck is switched off; plus, it features an updated visual appearance so customers can better understand the truck’s power levels.
The rest of the truck shares the same underlying tech and features as the standard Platinum model, which includes upgraded motors that deliver 580 horsepower and 775 pound-feet of torque along with Ford’s extended battery that provides up to 300 miles of range.
The F-150 Lightning is midway through its second year of production at the Rouge Electric Vehicle Center.
Following a recent plant expansion to help the company scale production, Ford is on track to triple F-150 Lightning production by fall. This will allow Ford to build up to 150,000 EV trucks annually to help meet customer demand.