With its 620 mile range, the new Fusion Energi can travel from Boston to Virginia Beach on one tank of gas and one full charge or traverse the West Coast’s scenic Highway 101 from Sacramento to San Diego.
And the stellar range only adds to the benefits Fusion Energi boasts, including EPA-rated fuel economy figures of 108 MPGe city, 92 MPGe highway and 100 MPGe combined – up to 5 MPGe greater than Toyota Prius plug-in hybrid. These are numbers that the EPA anticipates could help save customers an estimated $6,850 in fuel costs compared with an average new car over the course of five years.
Fusion Energi benefits from 20 years of research and innovation behind the software and hardware technology it offers, incorporating many of the nearly 500 patents Ford holds in the area of hybrid technology. The car’s powersplit technology – which allows for more efficient operation of the vehicle – consists of more than 200 patents alone.
Fusion Energi delivers total horsepower of 195 with a fully charged battery with a top electric-only speed of 85 mph – 60 more horsepower than the Prius plug-in.
Fusion Energi offers the latest generation of SmartGauge with EcoGuide. Designed to help drivers get the most from Fusion, information such as instantaneous fuel economy can be displayed on one of two 4.2-inch LCD screens, helping drivers more closely monitor how their driving behavior affects vehicle efficiency.
In the right cluster, redesigned imagery of green leaves shows overall driving efficiency. The left cluster can display numerous screens that contain information about the vehicle and how it’s being driven. Brake Coach, for example, helps drivers optimize their use of the regenerative braking system so that driving range can be maximized through proper braking techniques.
EV+ is a feature that learns frequent destinations by combining the built-in GPS of Ford SYNC with proprietary software algorithms developed by Ford engineers. As a result, vehicles deliver more drive time in electric-only mode.
The MyFord Mobile smartphone application (available soon) allows users to monitor charging, receive alerts, find charge stations, plan trips and do more from their smartphones or computers for an effortless transition to an electrified vehicle lifestyle.
Other Fusion Energi features:
– Eco cruise: Saves vehicle energy by relaxing acceleration compared to standard cruise control
– EV mode button: Conveniently mounted on the console to the right of the shifter, allows a driver to switch vehicle operation between three modes: all-electric, normal hybrid operation and conserve battery power for later use
– Regenerative braking: Capable of capturing and reusing more than 95 percent of the braking energy normally lost during the braking process
– Hybrid transmission: Designed by Ford engineers in-house, this transmission is capable of operating at high speeds and in a smooth, fuel-efficient manner at the same time
– Advanced lithium-ion batteries: The batteries used in Ford’s electrified vehicle lineup – covered by an eight-year/100,000-mile component limited warranty – are smaller and lighter than previous generation nickel-metal-hydride batteries
– Charge port with LED light ring: Conveniently located on the driver’s side and near the front of the car, it features a light ring that illuminates to indicate charge status