The GMC HUMMER EV SUV completes the HUMMER EV family and features smart, purposeful technology.
The GMC HUMMER EV pickup truck will go on sale first later this year, while the GMC HUMMER EV SUV will join the pickup in 2023 as a 2024 model.
“GMC’s HUMMER EV SUV offers an exceptional balance of on-road performance and off-road capability, enhanced by a unique structure that allows for our signature open-air experience,” said Al Oppenheiser, HUMMER EV chief engineer. “New features debuting on the SUV reinforce its role as a tactical tool in almost any situation.”
New technologies include trail mapping available via the redesigned myGMC app. There’s also available Power Station generator that enables customers to utilize up to 3 kilowatts of power from the vehicle, turning the HUMMER into a power source on the trail or a backup generator.
The HUMMER EV features CrabWalk and Extract Mode to get out of trouble on the trail. Extract Mode causes the air suspension system to raise the vehicle almost 6 inches, while CrabWalk can rotate all four wheels at the same angle to move the vehicle diagonally to get out of tight spots when off-roading.
All HUMMER EV models feature the enhanced version of Super Cruise, an available driver-assistance technology offering hands-free driving on more than 200,000 miles (approximately 322,000 km) of enabled roads. It includes a new automatic lane changing feature, where the system can determine when a lane change is optimal and initiate the maneuver, while following signaling protocols.
The HUMMER EV SUV is driven by General Motors’ Ultium Platform and launches with the exclusive Edition 1 package, offered in Moonshot Green Matte available with or without the Extreme Off-Road Package, for greater customer choice in tailoring the vehicle for maximum driving efficiency or maximum off-road capability.
Depending on the specific version, the HUMMER EV SUV will be powered by either two or three electric motors. Three-motor versions will be available with, at most, 830 HP. That’s less than the 1,000-horsepower available in the pickup because SUVs shorter wheelbase required a smaller battery pack. The SUV will be able to go from zero to 60 mph in 3.5 seconds.
The 2024 GMC Hummer EV SUV special “Edition 1” launch model with an available “extreme off-road package” will arrive in early 2023, priced at $110,595. Other models, starting at $79,995, $89,995, and $99,995, will follow.
- Interdependent body/battery structure that supports a unique, double-stacked battery pack
- An available three-motor Ultium Drive system that delivers up to 830 horsepower and up to 11,500 lb-ft of torque — enough power for super-fast 0-60-mph sprints in approximately 3.5 seconds with available Watts To Freedom (based on GM estimates)
- New satellite-rendered trail mapping power allows drivers to discover and navigate off-road trails, while monitoring their vehicle’s energy consumption in real time, with community-based energy forecast through their myGMC app
- New available Power Station generator that enables 19.2kW AC charging, generator functionality (120v/25A/3kW) and ability to charge other EVs (240v/25A/6kW)
- Great degree of customization via buttons on the center stack, and nearly 200 accessories will be available for HUMMER EV
- Master of maneuverability, with nearly 9-inch less wheelbase than HUMMER EV Pickup, giving it expected best-in-class off-road proportions, with greater departure and breakover angles and a tighter turning circle of only 35.4 feet (10.8 meters) with 4 Wheel Steer
- An immersive experience that puts the driver at the center of every moment, including customizable user experience features and an open-air driving experience, with the standard Infinity Roof with removable Sky Panels and I-Bar
Master of Maneuverability
With a nearly 9-inch shorter wheelbase than the HUMMER EV Pickup, the all-new HUMMER EV SUV offers even greater maneuverability, with expected best-in-class off-road proportions and a turning circle of only 35.4 feet (10.8 meters) with 4 Wheel Steer — smaller than a Mustang Mach-E.
Standard features on 2X, 3X and Edition 1 models include 4 Wheel Steer with CrabWalk, which allows diagonal-drive functionality, as well as Adaptive Air Suspension with Extract Mode4 and 22-inch wheels with 35-inch-OD Goodyear all-terrain tires. Standard on 3X and Edition 1 is e4WD with torque vectoring. The available Extreme Off-Road Package adds:
- Unique 18-inch wheels and 35-inch-OD Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT tires
- Underbody armor and rock sliders
- UltraVision with underbody cameras (front- and rear-facing with wash system)
- Front eLocker and rear virtual lockers
- Heavy-duty ball-spline half shafts
HUMMER EV SUV & PICKUP OFF-ROAD DRIVING SPECIFICATIONS COMPARED
|HUMMER EV SUV||HUMMER EV PICKUP|
|Wheelbase (in. / mm):||126.7 / 3218||135.6 / 3445|
|Vehicle length w/o spare (in. / mm):||196.8 / 4999.5||216.8 / 5507|
|Width w/o mirrors (in. / mm):||86.5 / 2196||86.7 / 2201|
|Width w/ mirrors (in. / mm):||93.7 / 2380||93.7 / 2380|
|Max ground clearance (in. / mm):||16.0 / 406||15.9 / 404|
|Front overhang (in. / mm):||34.7 / 881||34.7 / 881|
|Rear overhang w/o spare (in. / mm):||35.5/ 900.5||46.5 / 1181|
|Max approach angle (deg.):||49.6||49.7|
|Max departure angle w/o spare (deg.):||49.0||38.4|
|Max breakover angle (deg.):||34.4||32.2|
|Max water fording depth^ (in. / mm):||32 / 813||32 / 813|
|Track width (in. / mm):||73.3 / 1863 (front and rear)||73.3 / 1863 (front and rear)|
|Turning circle, with available 4 Wheel Steer (ft. / m):||35.4 / 10.8||37.1 / 11.3|
|Suspension travel (in. / mm):||13 / 330 (front and rear)||13 / 330 (front and rear)|
The 2024 HUMMER EV SUV offers a multisensory, immersive experience that puts drivers in the middle of every moment.
The HUMMER EV’s user experience team worked with Perception, a creative agency best known for their science fiction thinking and technology design work within the Marvel Universe, to create a cinematic in-cabin experience that engages the senses.
Special features such as available Watts To Freedom bring their own unique multisensory, interactive experiences, with distinctive sound via the premium Bose audio system, feel through the haptic driver’s seat and sight with custom screen displays showing the special performance mode is “armed and ready.”
The user experience is customizable through My Mode, allowing the driver to tailor their favorite features including steering, suspension, sound and acceleration for a truly personal interface that celebrates every drive.
The HUMMER EV’s remarkable driving capabilities blend with these engaging technologies and a carefully crafted user experience, creating a sense of intensity and drama for drivers and passengers, while features such as the standard Infinity Roof and modular Sky Panels create an open experience, allowing customers to enjoy HUMMER EV’s nearly silent movement during outdoor adventures.
The HUMMER EV SUV was also designed as a two-row SUV with a shorter wheelbase to help optimize its off-road maneuverability while providing secure rear storage, with instantly recognizable proportions that convey HUMMER EV’s characteristically aggressive stance.
“Designing the Pickup and SUV simultaneously helped us give each their own unique features to maximize utility,” said Phil Zak, HUMMER EV design executive director. “The SUV’s tight proportions create a distinct profile and spacious cargo area, while maintaining a roomy and architecturally-inspired cabin.”
The rear design is unique to the SUV and incorporates a standard full-size spare tire mounted to a power swing-out tailgate. Using one of three button options, the swing gate automatically opens like a vault — even wider than the vehicle itself. The extra width allows for an unimpeded 48-inch opening designed to make loading gear and supplies easier. The spare tire mount also creatively houses a rear-facing camera5 to assist with reverse maneuvers and trailer alignment.
Inside, a similar five-passenger layout from the Pickup remains, allowing for a large and useful rear cargo area. In fact, with the rear seats folded flat, the HUMMER EV SUV offers up to 81.8 cubic feet of cargo space. On top of that, there is an additional storage space hidden under the load floor and another compartment integrated into the side trim.
The SUV’s Edition 1 debuts a new, exclusive Moonshot Green Matte exterior color, and the SUV’s full palette will offer seven additional colors (late availability and some at additional cost). Edition 1 also introduces the Lunar Shadow interior theme, which will offer a more rugged option to complement the high-contrast Lunar Horizon interior previously shown on the Pickup.
Super-Strong and Super-Fast
As with the HUMMER EV Pickup, the new SUV is built on a unique, interdependent body/battery structure that serves two crucial functions: It reinforces the overall structure for exceptional rigidity, while also protecting the double-stacked Ultium battery pack.
“The HUMMER EV’s body protects the battery, while the battery supports the structure,” said Oppenheiser. “That means the battery pack itself is a structural element, which enables a truly open-air experience and a rare combination of extreme off-road capability and smooth on-road performance in a body-frame integral platform.”
A large, flat load floor incorporates a protective sheer panel sandwiched between the high-strength martensitic top and bottom layers, which help protect the battery. The strength and rigidity of the floor help reduce twisting and deformation, while also providing the stiffness required to enable the HUMMER EV’s removable Sky Panels and I-Bar.
With GM’s unique ability to stack long pouch cells vertically or horizontally, the HUMMER EV SUV is able to package its power in a relatively small space: available 20-module, double-stacked battery pack, consisting of two layers of 10 modules. It can deliver up to 830 horsepower and up to 11,500 lb-ft of torque and is capable of enabling 0-60 mph in approximately 3.5-seconds with available Watts To Freedom (GM estimates).
Tactical Technology with New Trail Mapping
The HUMMER EV SUV is loaded with smart, purposeful technology designed to enhance on-and off-road excursions — and one of the latest features is an updated myGMC mobile phone app, redesigned with an all-new home screen and enhanced features, including new off-road trail mapping.
Tailored for HUMMER EV drivers, it not only helps plan and navigate off-road driving adventures, it incorporates charging locations and their distances from off-road locations and provides real-time energy consumption with community-based energy forecast. Routes and plans can be downloaded from the app on the driver’s phone and projected on the vehicle’s infotainment screen for easier, at-a-glance navigation while driving.
“It’s technology that adds to the HUMMER EV’s immersive driving experience,” said Mike Colville, senior manager for EV complex feature integration and execution. “More than simply locating a destination, we help you find an epic one, create an EV-unique navigation experience when you get there and allow you to share your trip with others.”
Standard HUMMER EV SUV technologies include:
- Large, 13.4-inch diagonal infotainment screen and 12.3-inch diagonal driver information center display that convey a wealth of vehicle performance and driver awareness information — including trail mapping projection from the myGMC app
- In-vehicle Energy App that monitors energy use, sets up charging schedules, battery temperature conditioning and more, right from the infotainment screen
- Digital Key allows owners to use their smartphone as the key fob for their HUMMER EV. The technology detects the owner’s phone and its location in proximity to the vehicle, enabling a number of passive operations such as approach lighting, entry unlock and vehicle operation
- HD Surround Vision with up to 14 camera views and available UltraVision offers up to 17 camera views with underbody cameras (included with available Extreme Off-Road Package)
- Off-Road Widgets offer a myriad of information related to the HUMMER EV’s selectable capabilities and performance readouts in off-road driving scenarios — everything from the ride height and eLocker engagement to compass headings, pitch/roll status and more
Additionally, all HUMMER EV models feature the enhanced version of Super Cruise, an available driver-assistance technology offering hands-free driving on more than 200,000 miles (approximately 322,000 km) of enabled roads. It includes a new automatic lane changing feature, where the system can determine when a lane change is optimal and initiate the maneuver, while following signaling protocols.
The HUMMER EV SUV also incorporates a great degree of customer customization through available buttons that can be used for a number of accessory features, and nearly 200 available accessories for HUMMER EV will be available from participating GMC dealers.
Ultium Platform and New Power Station Generator
General Motors’ Ultium Platform drives the new HUMMER EV SUV. Its revolutionary architecture provides the framework to integrate advanced technologies for optimal driving efficiency, while also enabling performance and capabilities that would not be possible with a conventional vehicle architecture and propulsion system.
Edition 1 Highlights include:
- 20-module, double-stacked Ultium battery that will offer more than 300 miles of range on a full charge (without the available Extreme Off-Road Package) and power for three motors
- Three-motor e4WD drive system offering the equivalent of GM-estimated up to 830 horsepower and GM-estimated up to 11,500 lb-ft of torque
- 800-volt DC public fast charging capability of up to 300 kW. Industry-first technology mechanically switches the batteries from parallel to series mode during charging
- Regen on Demand, which can slow the vehicle to a full stop without pressing the brake pedal, and feeds that energy back into the vehicle
- One-Pedal Driving and Terrain Mode. One-Pedal Driving can slow the vehicle to a full stop using the accelerator pedal providing very fine control, while Terrain Mode uniquely integrates the brake system with One-Pedal Driving, giving the driver precise control while off-roading and rock crawling
- New available Power Station generator. The new available Power Station generator offers significant external powering capabilities to power off-road adventures and more. With enhanced vehicle hardware, the HUMMER EV SUV can jump charge another electric vehicle at 240v/25A/6kW and power a variety of equipment and accessories at 120v/25A/3kW.