Rivian, the EV startup backed by Ford, Amazon, Cox Automotive and T. Rowe Price, has provided more details about its planned nationwide network of DC fast chargers.
The ‘Rivian Adventure Network’ will include more than 3,500 DC fast chargers at more than 600 locations in the U.S. and Canada by the end of 2023.
Each site will have multiple chargers and will be conveniently located on highways and main roads, often by cafes and shops. These DC fast chargers will be for Rivian owners only, with details on pricing and associated programs coming soon.
According Rivian, these DC fast chargers will initially offer more than 200 kW of charging power and will later be upgraded to more than 300 kW. The Rivian fast chargers are expected to be located on major highways and main roads, as well as have cafes or stores nearby.
The Rivian Adventure Network summary:
– Exclusively for Rivian owners
– 3,500+ DC fast chargers at 600+ sites by end of 2023
– Up to 140 miles of range in 20 minutes for R1T and R1S
– Automatic charging, just pull up and plug in
– In-vehicle nav automatically plans charging
– Charging rates of over 200kW initially and 300kW+ in the future
– Powered by 100% renewable energy
For charging at destination when time is not really an issue, Rivian is also installing thousands of ‘Rivian Waypoints’ Level 2 AC chargers throughout hotels restaurants, parks across the United States and Canada. Over 10,000 Rivian Waypoints are planned across the US and Canada through 2023.
Rivian Waypoints summary:
– 10,000+ chargers planned by end of 2023
– At shops, restaurants, hotels, parks and more
– Automatic charging for Rivian drivers, just pull up and plug in
– Open to the public for EVs using the J1772 plug
– 11.5 kW charging speed
– Locate, monitor charge status and get notifications through your in-vehicle navigation and Rivian app
Finally, for home charging, each Rivian electric vehicle comes with its own portable charger stored in the front trunk. It plugs into both a 240-volt outlet — used by many home clothes dryers and commonly found at RV parks — as well as a standard 120-volt wall outlet.
But, the automaker is also going to offer fastest way to charge at home with the Rivian Wall Charger.
The Rivian Wall Charger summary:
– Up to 25 miles of range per hour of charge
– 11.5 kW charging speed
– WiFi connectivity for OTA updates
– Weatherproof for indoor or outdoor use
– 5-year warranty
– Compatible with other EVs using the J1772 plug
Company’s entire charging platform has been designed by Rivian engineers to deliver the fastest, most convenient way to charge your Rivian.
Through the Rivian app, you can monitor your vehicle’s charge status in real time. If you’re at home and your vehicle isn’t plugged in, the app can send a reminder. You can also program your charger to turn on during off-peak hours for lower rates.
On the road, Rivian’s in-vehicle navigation automatically routes you through any needed charging stops, prioritizing Rivian chargers as well as DC fast chargers from CCS partner networks.