At the 2015 Frankfurt Motor Show, GKN Automotive will demonstrate new technologies that will make plug-in hybrids the driveline of choice for future drivers.
The company’s stand will also display the torque vectoring all-wheel drive system that drives the hotly-anticipated new Ford Focus RS.
GKN Automotive President of Technology Peter Moelgg said: “We believe it’s time to recognise that hybrids are now some of the most exciting cars on the road and that all-wheel drive can be as efficient as it is desirable. Since the last IAA, we have launched hybrid drive systems that power the Porsche 918 Spyder and the BMW i8. At Frankfurt this year, GKN will show what happens when torque vectoring enters the equation – and how the technologies helping to reinvent high-performance cars can do the same for all vehicles.”
Technology highlights will include:
– New Twinster torque vectoring technology, launching in the new Ford Focus RS that enables the car’s “drift” mode
– New electric torque vectoring eAxle system using proven production technologies
– New integrated eAxle system for plug-in hybrid SUVs and premium vehicles
– BMW i8’s two-speed electric axle system
– New highly integrated, high-performance electric drive systems for hybrid and electric cars and light commercial vehicles
– New fuel-saving technologies for conventional drivelines
– Innovative powder metal process and manufacturing capabilities that enable systems to unlock further weight, downsizing, performance refinement and cost benefits
– The carbon fibre ‘Gyrodrive’ flywheel technology that has helped power Audi to three Le Mans podium finishes
The global driveline company has become a leading force in hybrid and all-wheel drive systems, with GKN’s software and tuning expertise making it a key development partner for automakers seeking to push the boundaries with new driveline concepts.
The company was named an official Porsche Technology Partner for its role in the development of the 918 Spyder plug-in hybrid super car, and picked up a PACE Award for its eAxle technology on the BMW i8. It handled the complete integration of the all-wheel drive system in Jeep’s first B-segment car, the Renegade, as well as the Fiat 500X. GKN is also driveline development partner to Ford on the new Focus RS, which uses unconventional thinking to deliver a new interpretation of the vehicle’s DNA.