The new 2016 Toyota Mirai hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicle will offer an EPA-estimated 67 miles per gallon equivalent (MPGe) city/highway/combined when it hits dealerships in California this fall, and an EPA-estimated driving range rating of 312 miles on a single fill of hydrogen.
Toyota North America CEO Jim Lentz announced the EPA-estimated performance figures at the Aspen Ideas Festival in Aspen, Colorado. Mirai is the only zero emission electric vehicle on the market that tops the 300 mile range milestone.
“Toyota realized in the early 90’s that electrification was key to the future of the automobile,” said Lentz. “Just as the Prius introduced hybrid-electric vehicles to millions of customers nearly twenty years ago, the Mirai is now poised to usher in a new era of efficient, hydrogen transportation.”
Toyota Mirai is a four-door, mid-size sedan with performance that fully competes with traditional internal combustion engines – but uses no gasoline. Instead, Mirai creates electricity on demand using hydrogen, oxygen and a fuel cell, and emits nothing but water vapor in the process.
Toyota has matched the Mirai’s impressive performance with an equally impressive ownership experience. In addition to outstanding range and fuel economy, Mirai drivers will enjoy a comprehensive, ownership experience offering a range of world-class services, including:
– Three years’ worth of complimentary fuel
– Three years complimentary Safety Connect and Entune, including hydrogen station finder app.
– Three years of 24/7 customer call support.
– Mirai Complimentary Rental Experience for seven days per year for three years.
– ToyotaCare, standard no cost service plan and roadside assistance, is enhanced for Mirai and offers:
– No cost scheduled maintenance for three years, or 35,000 miles, whichever comes first.
– No cost enhanced roadside assistance for three years, regardless of mileage, including expedited towing service and trip interruption reimbursement at a maximum of $500 per day for up to 5 days per incident.
– 8-year/100,000-mile warranty on key fuel cell vehicle components including the FC stack and power control unit; FC hydrogen tanks; hybrid battery pack and ECU; FC air compressor, boost converter and ECU; hybrid control module (power management control module); and hydrogen fueling ECU.
This October, Toyota Mirai will roll into select dealerships in the Golden State. Northern California drivers will meet Mirai at San Francisco Toyota, Roseville Toyota, Stevens Creek Toyota or Toyota of Sunnyvale. Farther south, Longo Toyota, Toyota Santa Monica, Toyota of Orange and Tustin Toyota will welcome Mirai customers.
Customers can take advantage of Mirai’s $499 per month/36 month lease option, with $3649 due at lease signing, or purchase the vehicle for $57,500. With combined state and federal incentives of $13,000 available to many customers, the purchase price could potentially fall to under $45,000. Both options come with free hydrogen fuel for “up to three years.”