Volkswagen of America announced that a lower-priced version of the fully-electric 2015 Volkswagen e-Golf will go on sale at participating dealerships.
The 2015 Volkswagen e-Golf Limited Edition is priced nearly $2,000 less than its SEL counterpart at $33,450, without compromising performance, quality, or versatility. The e-Golf Limited Edition is also available at a monthly lease price of $229, plus applicable fees.
The e-Golf Limited Edition is built on the same sporty Modular Transverse Matrix (MQB) platform as the rest of the award-winning Golf family. It is powered by a compact electric motor and a 24.2 kWh lithium-ion battery (built in-house at the Volkswagen facility in Braunschweig, Germany), and offers 115 horsepower and class-leading torque of 199 pound feet.
Changes compared with the SEL Premium models include 16-inch steel wheels in place of aluminum alloys, halogen instead of LED headlights, cloth in place of leatherette seating surfaces, and deletion of the heat-pump system.
Equipment and features that remain unchanged from the SEL Premium model include:
– DC Fast Charging with the Combined Charging System (CCS) that allows up to 80 percent battery charge in 30 minutes
– Standard 7.2kW onboard charger
– Versatile cargo area, with 22.8 cubic feet of space behind the rear seats; 52.7 cubic feet with seats folded
– Three driving profiles designed to preserve energy (“Normal”, “Eco”, and “Eco+”) and three driver-selectable regeneration modes
– KESSY keyless access with push-button start
– Navigation system
– LED Daytime Running Lights
– Climatronic automatic dual-zone climate control system
– Electronic parking brake
– Electrically heated windshield
– Automatic headlights and wipers
– Rearview camera
– Front and rear Park Distance Control
The e-Golf achieves an EPA-estimated Miles per Gallon of Gasoline Equivalent (MPGe) of 126 city, 105 highway, and 116 combined; the EPA estimates that range is 83 miles on a single charge. This makes the e-Golf the most fuel-efficient compact car in the U.S. according to the 2015 Most Fuel Efficient Cars by EPA Size Class (including electric vehicles) list.
To further improve the ownership experience, Volkswagen is taking a holistic approach to e-Mobility. This includes a collaboration with 3Degrees, a renewable energy services provider, to invest in carbon reduction projects to help offset the emissions created from Volkswagen e-Golf production, distribution and charging of the vehicle up to 36,000 miles of driving. Charging solutions from Bosch and Chargepoint, along with a new Roadside Assistance program and the VW Car-Net e-Golf app are designed to make owning the e-Golf a thoroughly reassuring, rewarding and enjoyable experience.