Nissan Canada today announced pricing for the Nissan LEAF electric car, which becomes available for purchase or lease at Nissan dealers with starting price at $38,395 CAD.
Customers in Ontario and Quebec are eligible for a provincial government rebate of $8,500 and $8,000, respectively, toward the cost of a Nissan LEAF, the maximum amount available.
The operating costs of the Nissan LEAF are significantly less than an internal combustion engine (ICE) because it does not have an engine, requires no oil changes and requires less maintenance work. As well, the cost per kilometer of a Nissan LEAF is about 80% lower than that of a very fuel-efficient car.
For example, a car with an ICE and an average fuel efficiency of 8 litres/100 km will cost about $1,760 in gas per year (assuming a gas price of $1.10/liter and a distance of 20,000 km/year). To travel the same distance in the Nissan LEAF will cost approximately $320 per year (with electricity at $0.11 kWh).
The Nissan LEAF will be available in two trim levels including the well-equipped “SV” base model ($38,395) which includes an extensive list of standard features including the “cold weather package” specifically designed for countries with colder climates.
Also standard are:
• 80 kW (107 horsepower) AC synchronous electric motor;
• 24kWh lithium-ion battery and 3.3 kW onboard charger;
• Front and Rear Disc brakes, regenerative braking system, ABS, Brake Assist
• Vehicle Dynamic Control; Traction Control System
• 16″ alloy wheels, LED headlights;
• Dual power, heated outside mirrors and real spoiler;
• Nissan Navigation System;
• CARWINGS telematics monitoring system and trip computer;
• Battery heater system
• Front and rear heated seats and heated steering wheel;
• Nissan Intelligent Key;
• Automatic climate control, cruise control;
• XM Satellite radio (subscription required) and USB connection for iPod;
• Auto-dimming rearview mirror and variable intermittent wipers.
The SL model ($39,995) adds:
• Rearview monitor;
• Fog lights;
• Solar panel charger;
• Homelink transceiver (for garage door openers);
• Cargo cover.
• Available option on the SL model is the Quick Charge Port ($900).