Lexus showcased the “NX PHEV OFFROAD Concept” and “ROV Concept” for the first time at the Tokyo Auto Salon 2022.
The two concept vehicles on display are models that embody Lexus’ efforts to realize a carbon neutral society, expand customer choices, challenge to suggest diversifying and expanding lifestyles, and provide new values that exceed expectations. The aim is to balance the refined lifestyle and driving pleasure that cars provide our customers, while living in harmony with nature.
The NX PHEV OFFROAD Concept is based on Lexus’ first PHEV model that went on sale in November 2021, the NX 450h+. The BEV and PHEV modes offer refined driving performance and excellent environmental performance that reduces CO2 emissions, as well as reliable driving performance by electric motor on low-friction roads. The body inspires an adventurous lifestyle with its lifted platform, off-road running all-terrain large diameter tires and beautifully finished customized bronze and matte black paint scheme.
The ROV Concept goes beyond traditional on and off-road driving along with its compact body and aims to provide a driving experience in nature unlike any passenger vehicle. In addition, it is the first Lexus vehicle to use a hydrogen engine, making it environmentally friendly while still providing stimulation and excitement made possible only through the vibrations of an engine-powered vehicle.
NX PHEV OFFROAD Concept Overview (custom parts added to base vehicle NX 450h+)
– Base Vehicle: Lexus NX 450h+
– Body Size: Length 4,660 mm x Width 1,865 mm x Height 1,675 mm
– Powertrain: 2.5 liter In-line 4 cylinder Plug-in Hybrid System [AWD] – Front motor / Max output / Max torque: (5 NM) / 134 kW (182 PS) / 270 Nm (27.5 kgf m)
– Rear motor / Max output / Max torque: (4 NM) / 40 kW (54 PS) / 121 Nm (12.3 kgf m)
– Drivetrain System: E-Four (Electronically controlled all-wheel drive system)
ROV Concept Overview
– Body Size: Length 3,120 mm x Width 1,725 mm x Height 1,800 mm
– Powertrain: 1.0 liter In-line 3 cylinder DOHC4 valve
– Fuel: Compressed Hydrogen Gas
– Transmission: Sequential Paddle Shift + Reverse
– Drivetrain Type: Selectable 2WD & 4WD with Diff Lock
Powertrain: The 1.0-liter hydrogen engine stores compressed hydrogen in a high-pressure tank and precisely injects hydrogen via direct injectors. The result is an environmentally friendly engine that produces high response torque from the fast-burning hydrogen, as well as vibrations unique to engine powered vehicles for an exhilarating driving experience. In addition, engine oil consumption during driving is kept to a minimum, resulting in virtually no CO2 emissions.
– Utilizes a rugged pipe frame with a lightweight and compact body
– Incorporates the “Lexus Driving Signature”
– Utilizes a sequential paddle shift + reverse transmission and a selectable 2WD & 4WD with differential lock drivetrain system. Achieves dynamic off-road driving performance while offering high response from the hydrogen engine.