Honda Motor Co. unveiled the MC-β, a new micro-sized short-distance EV commuter developed in consideration of the vehicle categories for micro-sized mobility products that are currently being discussed under the initiative of the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism in Japan.
Honda will provide the MC-β for separate field tests started this month, jointly conducted with Kumamoto Prefecture, Saitama City, and Miyakojima City in Japan. In these field tests, Honda and each partner will explore desirable usage patterns and needs for micro-sized mobility products as a part of a social system that will help promote city planning and address issues related to transportation of people in each community.
Should the Honda MC-β go on sale in Europe, it would be considered an L7 vehicle, which is a classification for electric vehicles that weigh 400 kilograms or less (excluding battery weight) with a maximum power output of 15 kW – typically motorcycles.
Key features of the Honda MC-β
– In the pursuit of Honda’s philosophy for automobile design that puts the first priority on space for people, the MC-β provides cabin space that fits two adults comfortably as well as utility space inside the micro-sized body through adoption of an “offset seat layout.”
– The micro-sized body, which is approximately 90 cm shorter than the body of a typical mini-vehicle, realized a minimum turning radius as short as 3.3 m to achieve outstanding ease-of-handling. Moreover, the MC-β features nimble driving performance unique to Honda EVs, offering a comfortable drive in a wide range of road conditions.
– The pipe frame body, which represents the application of motorcycle technology, realized a lightweight and yet rigid body.
– The use of a plastic outer panel made possible a bold exterior design, embodying a friendly design loved by people.
– An AC100V/AC200V charging system was adopted to shorten the charging time. The MC-β can be charged by using a conventional, public EV charging stand.
The MC-β is scheduled to be exhibited at SMART MOBILITY CITY 2013.
Key Specifications of Honda MC-β
(length × width × height)
|2,495 x 1,280 x 1,545 (mm)|
|Maximum speed||More than 70 km/h|
|Motor output||Rated: 6 kW / maximum 11 kW|
|Maximum range||More than 80 km|
|Charging time||Less than 3 hours (200 V)|
|Less than 7 hours (100 V)|